Three important things:
- Today, my Fake ESL kid copied the notes AND did the examples and checks AND plotted points. I didn’t get nearly excited enough at the time, so I’m bringing him a candy bar tomorrow.
- I’ve decided that even if none of my other kids pass, I’ll be happy if I can just get my Brat to pass and see that she’s capable of something.
- I called home today for my Irlen Girl and, yet again, had a parent offer to come up to the school to meet with me. I have a message from another parent wanting to know what she can do to help her daughter make up work from being sick as often as she has. I talk to two sets of parents almost weekly, and never hear anything but “what can we do to help at home?” … I just get tired of people telling me my kids are destined to failure because of their parents.
Two funny things:
- My Confused Kid screeches at me during 2nd period, “MISS, you’re impersonating my invasion!” … he meant to say ‘invading my personal space.’
- Helping one of my neighbor’s kids after school with reciprocals, I ask “So what is 6 if I flip it?” He responds: “… 9?”
One thing to ponder:
I don’t think it’s okay to laugh when my black kids say things like “it’s because I’m black, isn’t it?” or “Ew, I don’t want to sit next to him. He’s black!” But they’re so ridiculous that sometimes I do. What kind of message am I sending? Is this is a big deal, or not a big deal?